What Are E-Cigarettes and What is Vapor Smoking?
What are E-Cigarettes?
A lot of people are asking the questions… What are e-cigarettes, what is vapor smoking and how do electronic cigarettes work? Keep reading and you’ll find out all the latest information on electronic cigarettes. These new vapor devices, better known as e-cigarettes have taken the world by storm. E-cigs are fast replacing regular tobacco cigarettes in almost all countries. In fact, these fake cigarettes and vaporizers are being hailed as the best alternative to regular smoking in the world markets today.
E-cigarettes are designed to look and feel like the real thing. Therefore, they also meet the psychological or habitual needs of smokers. The only difference is that these devices run on batteries. This means there is no real smoke and no burning tobacco.
The popularity of e-cigarettes among heavy smokers is understandable. They often call the product, the only realistic alternative to tobacco products. One of the best e-cigarette benefits is they’re cheap. This means you don’t have to curb your desire for a smoke because of increases in prices and taxes. Now that e-cigarettes have finally arrived in New Zealand, you can enjoy your vaping experience without any hassles.
How Do Electronic Cigarettes Work?
These smokeless cigarette devices have a battery powered heating element. This joins on to a tank that contains a liquid solution. The solution is made by combining nicotine, vegetable glycol or propylene glycol and flavorings. This vapor liquid is generally known as e-juice or e-liquid. You may buy the gadget in a variety of shapes and sizes. Often they will resemble a pen or a regular cigarette. And, it works like a vaporizer.
What is Vapor Smoking?
So, what is vapor smoking? Vapor smoking is a term which is actually wrong as it implies vaping with an an e-cigarette. There is NO smoke so I am not sure why the term is used. Anyway, in some devices the user just needs to inhale and the e-cigarette will fire, however in others, the user needs to press the ignite button to get the device to fire. The user inhales the vapor, which feels a lot like the actual act of smoking. However, there is no odor involved, and none of the side effects of second hand smoke. This means that people can use them just about everywhere without worrying about the public smoking bans.
Also, because plant matter is not burned, what you essentially inhale is just water vapor. This means you don’t have to worry about filling your lungs with tar and the other ugly pollutants. Did you know there are over 1400 chemicals and 40 known carcinogens that are found in the smoke created by a regular cigarette. With e-cigarettes you get none of that!
What are the Mechanism of Vapor Cigarettes?
Most vapor devices currently available in the market are made of three major components:
- A cartridge or tank which holds the e-juice or vaping liquid.
- An atomizer, which is the heating element; sometimes you may have a combined atomizer, cartridge unit. That is known as a clearomizer, cartomizer or tankomizer.
- A battery which powers the device.
The mechanical parts of the device get you the vaping effect. And, the liquid in the cartridges or tanks is what determines the flavor and nicotine strength. These tanks are available pre-filled or empty. When buying empty cartridges, you simply fill them up with your favorite e-juice. If you own a tankomizer, or clearomizer you simply purchase the liquid and fill it yourself. These e-cigarettes are called 2nd generation e-cigs. I only sell 2nd, and 3rd generation e-cigs here. This is because they are far more economical and better than 1st generation devices.
You can get larger batteries with power from 1300mah up to 2500mah or more. You can charge these once a day or once in a few days, depending on the frequency of use. On the other hand, you will need to charge the smaller 650mah or less batteries every few hours. Most quality e cigarette kits will come with USB chargers. So, you never run out of vaping power.
In any case, the unit has an indicator which will show low charge. However, this is not the case with the cartridges. If you are using pre-filled tanks, you will simply have to throw away the spent cartridge and insert a fresh one. However, regardless of the type of cartridge used, there is no light indicator to show that you are going low on e-juice. The only differences you notice will be less vapor and a change in taste. Here at Vapor Cigarettes NZ we only sell the tankomizer and clearomizer versions so you will not have the problem of not knowing when the you are running low. You will clearly see the light start flashing.
What Are The Different Types of E-cigarettes?
Electronic cigarettes are available in disposable and reusable versions. The disposable units are usually shaped like regular cigarettes. Although these are great to get a feel for e-vaping, they can be incredibly expensive and just don’t deliver the performance of a quality electronic cigarette kit. On the other hand, refillable e-cigs can last for years. So, undoubtedly this is a more cost effective option. Here at vaporcigarettes.co.nz we only sell the re-fillable versions with long battery life and clear tanks so you can see when you’re running low in juice. See my article on what e-cigarette is best for you.
What is e-juice or electronic cigarette liquid?
One of the best things about using e-cigarettes is that you not only get to control the amount of nicotine but also the flavors. And, you will be shocked by the sheer range of flavors available; from alcohol and spices to the traditional favorites like menthol and tobacco and even foods like pizza and bacon. In terms of nicotine strength, you can go for 18-24 which is strong, 12-16 mg which is regular or 6-10 mg which is light. Read more about e-liquid here.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Electronic Cigarettes?
A number of e-cigarette studies and surveys have shown that there are innumerable benefits of switching from regular cigarettes to electronic cigarettes. Not the least of these is the ability to vape away to your heart’s desire whenever and wherever you want.
In fact, many pubs, bars and restaurants which prohibit smoking do allow the use of electronic cigarettes. This is because the vapor dispelled from e-cigarettes is harmless, evaporates completely and generally has a pleasant aroma. However, it would be best to check with the manager first.
Some of the other advantages of going the electronic cigarette way are listed below, or read our article on the safety of electronic cigarettes here.
Benefits of E-Cigarettes
- You get complete control over the nicotine intake, so you can gradually taper off the amount and quit entirely.
- With no tar or carbon monoxide or carcinogens in the vapors, the risk of cancer and other acute ailments is greatly reduced.
- It is a healthier alternative to smoking.
- They are less addictive than regular cigarettes (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.03791.x/abstract).
- You also get nicotine free versions for people who want to kickstart their efforts to quit nicotine input all together.
- No more stench of burnt tobacco on your clothes, home or your car.
- No smelly breath.
- Better dental health and no stained teeth.
- You will never have to worry about your loved ones having to pay for your smoking habits with secondary smoke exposure.
- Users all over the world are saving $1000 to $2000 per year by switching to electronic cigarettes.
- There is no flame and no ashes. So, you don’t make a mess.
- The non- flammable unit eliminates the risk of burns on clothing, couches and car seats.
- E-cigarettes are easy to use.
- Of course, there is a ‘getting used to’ period like with all new experiences, but people do take to electronic cigarettes quickly.
- You have a lot of online e-vaping support. For instance, you could visit the New Zealand vaping support forum at www.kiwivapers.com or the site which is the ultimate guide on electronic cigarettes at www.e-cigarette-forum.com.
Are Electronic Cigarettes Right for Everybody?
These devices are meant to be used by long term smokers as a healthier alternative to regular smoking. However, typical limitations apply to their use such as:
• Electronic cigarettes should not be used by women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
• They cannot be sold to people under the age of 18
• If you have a medical condition or are on prescription drugs, it would be best to consult with your GP before using e-cigarettes
So I hope this article has explained the questions what are e-cigs and how do e-cigarettes work… Now that you know what they are and how they work, the next question is… Isn’t it time to get one?